Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Busy Night Spinach Lasagna

I don't pretend that this is an authentic italian meal, but it is a relatively healthy, quick and inexpensive way to get dinner on the table.  It is also about the only way I can get my children to eat spinach.  Let's just say it is semi-homemade.  (Sheila, my favorite italian, shield your eyes.)  

Cast of Characters:

Oven-Ready Lasagna
Hunts Garlic and Herb Pasta Sauce
(it is one of the few store-bought sauces that doesn't contain sugar or other sweeteners AND it is only 95 cents a can!)
Canned spinach (I've used frozen before too)
Cottage or Ricotta Cheese (cottage has more protein, is less expensive and lower in fat)
Mozzarella or Italian Shredded Cheese

Optional:

Parmesan cheese
Italian herbs
Garlic or garlic powder

What to do:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Drain spinach, removing as much water as possible.
  3. In a bowl, combine cottage (or ricotta) and spinach.  Add a handful of the shredded cheese, some garlic powder or fresh garlic and parmesan, if you have it.
  4. In the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish, spread about 1/3 cup sauce.
  5. Top with three lasagna noodles.
  6. Spoon some cheese/lasagna filling onto the three noodles and spread it to coat each noodle.
  7. Put about 1/4 cup sauce on top of each section.
  8. Sprinkle some shredded cheese.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8, twice.
  10. Final layer is noodles topped with remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
  11. If you have dried italian herbs, sprinkle some on top.  Looks fancy!  :-)
  12. Cover with foil and bake 25-30 minutes.
  13. Remove foil, raise temp to 450 and bake 5-10 more minutes until bubbly and slightly brown.
  14. Let rest 10-15 minutes while you cut up some crusty bread and throw together a quick salad.
If you have read this far, I will offer you a secret tip.  Many people LOVE Olive Garden salad dressing.  Well, Kraft makes a dressing called Ceasar Vinaigrette that is an almost exact match. No charge for that tidbit of knowledge.

This is what I had on hand.  I'm only 'brand-loyal' to the Hunts Sauce and the Barilla Pasta.

These noodles are the bomb!  Cuts prep time drastically.  Don't let the small size fool you.
They will expand to fill the pan from edge to edge, see photo below.

I love to make my own spaghetti sauce, but I don't always have the time or energy.
This particular flavor of Hunts is my favorite.  Like I said, no high-fructose syrup or other sugars added.  At only 95 cents a can, it is great to have on hand for when you
don't have time to make your own sauce.It is also a great pizza sauce.
My children will sometimes make mini-pizza snacks with Ritz crackers,
 a dab of this sauce and some mozzarella on top.  

Cheese and spinach mixture.  

Spread a little sauce on the bottom of the pan before you start layering.


First set of noodles with spinach cheese mixture on top.
I promise, the noodles will expand!

A little sauce on top.

Top with shredded cheese.  REPEAT 2 more times.

Some of my family members MUST have meat.  I add a few slices of turkey
pepperoni to part of the dish.  Cover with foil and bake.


It is hard to let it 'rest' and not dig right in, but be patient.
Letting it rest will make the slices stay in nice squares when you plate them.

And... I wasn't patient enough so my first slice was a little messy, but oh so delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I read and appreciate each comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *