Friday, January 30, 2015

Sonlight Blog Party: Happy 25th Anniversary!

Sonlight Curriculum

Sonlight Curriculum is celebrating their silver anniversary by hosting a year-long blog party with a different topic each month. The topic for this month is Introduce us to your family. Are you just getting started homeschooling? Or do you have graduates? Or somewhere in between?


Our family began homeschooling in 2003 when my oldest son was beginning first grade.  My children are now 5th, 7th and 11th grade.  We began very simply, really focusing on homelife because I had a newborn in the home and another on the way. However, I was soon introduced to Sonlight and the joy of learning through literature by my dear friend, Sheila.  We have used several Cores over the years and I love applying what I learned from Sonlight as I continue our homeschool journey.  Our shelves are lined with Sonlight favorites that we love to 
Eternal Crown Photography

revisit and share with others.


We have been part of a local co-op ever since we began and it offers a wonderful support system and classes with shared teaching responsibilities that help lighten the load for me.  This year, my oldest began Dual Enrollment at Florida State College at Jacksonville and it has been a very positive experience.  


As a family, we love to fish and kayak. Recently,my youngest son began Geocaching and it has been fun to learn about this together. Other activities we currently participate in are tennis, basketball and volunteer opportunities with our church.
Choosing to homeschool was a tough decision, seeming so strange to my close friends and family.  For the first few years I took it one year at a time always thinking, "If it gets hard, I'll just put them in school." Eventually, I realized that the hard times were growing our family, especially me.  With my oldest son only one year from graduating, I'm amazed at how far we've come and thankful that we took on the challenge.  It has definitely not been an easy road but it is so worth the hard work.
Be sure to check out other homeschool families participating in the Sonlight Blog Party, each month.



Sonlight Blog Party

4 comments:

  1. So nice to "meet" you. Homeschooling really does help our family grow closer together, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to "meet" you too! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. Yes, it really does help our family grow.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you joined the party! I'm a friend of Sheila's, too! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla! Thanks for taking the time to read and post. I've heard about you from Sheila. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I read and appreciate each comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *