Monday, January 26, 2015

Wrestling with Resolutions

Considering it is the last week of January, a post on resolutions may seem tardy. However, I've been wrestling with choosing resolutions for 2015.. Most of us, myself included, choose resolutions that involve self-improvement or self-preservation in some form. I want to eat well, exercise, lose weight, reduce debt, declutter the house, read my Bible and pray more consistently. The list goes on, and basically the question is "What should I do about me?" That question and those resolutions do not satisfy my searching soul. Don't get me wrong, these are all worthy goals and I intend to make strides in each area this year. It's just that "physical training is of some value, but Godliness has value for all things, holding promise for this life and the life to come."  If I want to be a 'better' me, then maybe I need to do something to improve the world around me.

This weekend I went on a road trip.  I had drive time of about 2.5 hours each way and I decided I would catch up on my Daily Audio Bible (DAB) podcasts, because I was already falling behind on that resolution, and then maybe pick another podcast that would challenge me in the coming year.  I chose the Re:solution Series, by Andy Stanley at Northpoint Church (HIGHLY recommend). And just as God promises, when we seek Him, when we seek wisdom, when we seek guidance, He will deliver.  I began to see a reason why my attempts at choosing resolutions were not setting well with my soul. They all focused on ME.  

What breaks my heart in this world and what am I going to do about it?  What purpose am I to fulfill in the BIG picture of God's plan for humanity? Who am I going to serve this year? Am I resolving to focus on self-improvement only or am I including a resolution to love others?  WHAT IF, I do not know how to even answer these questions right now? These are some of the questions posed as I was traveling, driving, listening.  I'm wrestling to choose resolutions that will not only hold promise for THIS life but also for the life to come.  













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I read and appreciate each comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *